Monday, January 16, 2012

Tomato tart with goat cheese




Z loves to eat tomato tarts. He's been asking me to bake for him the past few weeks. I agreed to make it for Sunday lunch. I made the pastry dough last night and refrigerated it overnight.

I didn't do any food photography at all for two weeks. It seems like a long time ago. I missed my camera, it's been laying still in the dry cabinet.

Right after CP took the kids out for sport lesson. I took out the pastry dough from the refrigerator and set up my camera. I was ready to go, rolling the pastry dough happily. This was my personal time.

By the way, the Pink Himalayan sea salt in these photos was a generous gift from my friend, N. She has just come back from Italy. And she also gave me a bottle of Black sea salt. Maybe I should make Black sea salt macarons. Hmmm ... we'll see.





Z had tomato tart for lunch and cookies n cream gelato for dessert after. I'll share the  recipe with you soon.



Galette savory pastry (Laura Calder, French Taste)

  • 150 g all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 113 g cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 25 ml ice-cold water
Put the flour and salt into a large bowl. And pinch with fingers to create a crumbly texture. Make a well in the middle of the flour and pour in cold water. Quickly work in the flour with your fingers to create the dough. Do not over-mix, as that toughens the dough. Wrap the pastry dough in the plastic cling wrap, and chill for at least 40 minutes or overnight before rolling out.

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Roll the pastry between two sheets of parchment paper. Fill the 9-inch tart mould with the pastry and cut off the excess dough. It might tear a little but just press it back together. Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes. Cover the tart mould with a piece of parchment paper and place some beans on top to blind bake until edges start to brown, about 30 minutes. Remove the beans and continue to bake for another 7-8 minutes.

Tomato tart (serve 3-4)

  • 4 large tomatoes, sliced and place them on kitchen towel to drain out some juice
  • sea salt (I use Himalayan pink salt)
  • black pepper
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • a few sprigs of thyme
  • goat cheese
  • mixed salad green (optional)
Top the tart shell with sliced tomato. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with some salt, black pepper and a few sprigs of thyme. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve with some mixed green salad and crumbly goat cheese on top. Enjoy! 

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a tomato fan, but your tomato tart looks delicious! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. น่าทานมากๆ เลยค่ะพี่เหมียว รูปสวยที่สุดเลย
    ดูไปเคลิ้มไป ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaye, thanks for stopping by my blog. ^_^
    แก้ม ขอบใจจ้า เดี๋ยวพี่จะขอไปเอาสูตรขนมใน Blog ของแก้มมาทำบ้างนะ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. มีแต่เมนูที่หาดูยากอิอิ น่าทานค่ะ

    ReplyDelete